The Great Bear Rainforest is a protected wilderness area that’s really rich in wildlife. The waters teem with whales, otters, seals and sea lions. This beautifully raw, rugged coast with stunning waterfalls offers jaw dropping scenery and a rich First Nations Culture. Our trip there coincides with the salmon spawn, which is the best time to view bears as they gather at salmon streams to gorge on the annual feast. Our 2 week circular route takes us to the best spots where we might see the Kermode (Spirit) Bear, a subspecies of black bear with white fur. There are only 200 of these bears in the world and while there are no guarantees of seeing one, we believe we give kayakers a good chance. The only access along our route is by float plane or boat so you’ll experience solitude and truly get off the beaten track. We plan to visit 2 different natural hot springs and some historic remains including the oldest pulp mill in BC.
Minimum Skill LevelYou like to eat? Check out our food photo gallery
- Interested candidates should have extensive (over 30 days) previous sea kayak experience.
- Some expedition experience is required.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be able to paddle at a speed of 3 knots for up to 6 hours per day. If you can not maintain this speed for up to 6 hours this program is not for you.
- Some basic experience in dynamic waters
- Please note that this program is intense as well as mentally and physically demanding. If you are unsure of your ability to take this program, please call us to discuss your concerns prior to registering.
We will annonce our 2021 dates this Fall when we know the BC Ferry schedule (16 days)
North of Klemtu, Around Princess Royal Island
We love custom trips!
Other dates are available for custom or private trips. Contact us for more info.
I could not rate the quality of instruction/leadership more highly.
Booking and Payment Notes
A deposit of $1000 is required at the time of registration in order to secure your spot. The balance of your payment is due at least 60 days before the start of the program. Payment can be made by credit card, Interact E-Transfer, cheque, money order, or cash. You can also pay the full amount with a credit card using the online registration system on our website.
If you do not meet the prerequisites listed above, and are still interested in this challenging program, we may be able to provide you with some training beforehand. We will be camping for an extended period of time which means this program is intense as well as mentally and physically demanding.